Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Pumpkin Seeds
Nothing brings out the tasting notes of our En Primeur South Africa Sauvignon Blanc better than fresh spring greens, goat cheese, beets and pumpkin seeds! Yum!
1 ½ pounds bulk beets
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dijon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1 head Bibb lettuce, washed and dried
4 ounces goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash beets and place them in an ovenproof dish. Add one inch of water to the bottom of the dish and cover.
3. Roast until the beets are slightly soft to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and let cool.
5. Cut beets into bite-size chunks and add to a medium mixing bowl.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, dijon, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic.
7. Pour dressing over the beets and stir in the pumpkin seeds.
8. Roughly chop the Bibb lettuce and divide among six small plates.
9. Top each plate with the roasted beet mixture (be sure to spoon up the extra dressing at the bottom of the bowl) and then crumble the goat cheese on top.
10. If a crunchier texture is preferred, consider adding roughly chopped walnuts on top.